Math Teacher - Middle and High School (2019-2020)
Polaris Tech Charter School seeks a high school math teacher who will join an outstanding education team to unleash student potential and cultivate aspirations – where students are career-focused, college-ready and invested in the community.
Who We Are
Polaris Tech is a new school that will transform learning for traditionally underserved students in Jasper County, South Carolina. We’ll welcome our first class of students in Fall, 2018 to a personalized, blended learning instructional model with online and project-based education, where each student works at their own pace and according to their own learning style and interests. Polaris Tech will focus on using technology & innovative education techniques to guide students toward a successful future in college, a career and in their community. Students will be engaged in a well-rounded curriculum that includes core academics, career pathways, work and life skills and health and wellness activities.
Who We Want
We are looking for a team player who will thrive in a learning environment that is fluid and flexible, where student needs and aspirations shape the path. At Polaris Tech Charter School, the Teacher will:
Hold High Expectations for Equitable Outcomes: The teacher will create a rigorous but supportive environment in which all students – including those who are traditionally underserved – are held to high academic expectations. The teacher will seek evidence of achievement of goals to help all students meet expectations. The teacher will move beyond a traditional notion of providing each student with the same learning experience and are willing to apply differentiated strategies for each student.
Embrace Competency-Based Learning: The teacher will recognize that not all students learn at the same pace, and mastery of knowledge and skills is a better measure of learning progress. The teacher will measure progress against competency attainment and find ways to meet students where they are rather than adhere to one-size-fits-all schedules or sequences of instructional events.
Value All Learners: In seeking to personalize instruction, the teacher will recognize all students bring different strengths and needs to the classroom. The teacher is aware of different learning preferences, diversity, and universal design principles and appropriately differentiate and adapt to meet the academic, social and emotional individual needs of each student.
Have a Growth Mindset: The teacher who is constantly striving to develop.The teacher will seek out feedback and resources to help them learn and grow. And the teacher will apply the same mindset to students – encouraging students to take risks and learn from both their successes and failures.
- 3+ years teaching experience desired
- Certification in subject area
- Experience in project based learning
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Proficiency in GSuite and Google Docs
- Experience working with the proposed age group
- Experience supporting adults and children in the use of technology
- Ability to learn new technology tools quickly (e.g., database and web-based tools)
- Ability to support and guide parents as well as students
- Knowledge of effective and innovative instructional and student evaluation techniques
- Willingness to work with other teachers to promote interdisciplinary studies
- Ability to develop effective relationships with pupils, parents, teachers, staff and the community
- Outstanding references from current and former supervisors
- Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) report
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a competitive salary.